Q. Can this title be added to the Local Histories digital collection?
Answered By: . Digitization Last Updated: Feb 13, 2019 Views: 21
We are not digitizing new titles for this collection at this time and will keep suggestions for future consideration.
However, we can host a digital copy under the following conditions:
- The suggested title fits under our Local Histories collection scope.
- Permission is granted from the copyright holder(s) to make the title available through the University of Calgary digital collections.
- Digital files meet specifications below.
Contact us at email@example.com to arrange hosting of a new title.
Digital file specifications
- Master: TIFF
- Access: JPEG
- 24 bit colour
- 8 bit grayscale
- For standard items:
- 400 ppi
- 4000 pixels on longest dimension
- For fragile items that can or should only be digitized once:
- 600 ppi
- 6000 pixels on longest dimension
General digitization process
- Scan all pages including the spine as well as front and back covers. The spine can be included in the front cover image if possible.
Edit scanned images
- Keep a set of unedited raw scans (Master: TIFF files) separate from edited files.
- Crop images using Photoshop (or similar program). Leave a border around top, bottom, and outside edge of the page.
- Save edited files as JPEG copies.
For information on digitization see:
Guidelines for Planning the Digitization of Rare Book and Manuscript Collections
International Federation of Library Associations and Institutions (IFLA), 2014