Q. What is the UCalgary Library Self Checkout app and meeScan kiosk?
Answered By: Carla Lewis Last Updated: Oct 16, 2019 Views: 64
The UCalgary Library Self Checkout app is an new way to checkout items at the Taylor Family Digital Library (TFDL). You are able to check out your library items with your phone or tablet.
The app is available for Apple and Android devices, so is compatible with most phones and tablets. There is a dedicated self-check kiosks on the first floor of the TFDL.
Downloading the app on your device
1. Download and install the UCalgary Library Self Checkout app from the Apple or Android/Google app store. During setup you will have to give the app the following permissions:
- Allow the app to access your camera in order to scan barcodes on books.
- Allow the app to send you notifications.
- Allow the app to access your location so that it can automatically connect to the library that you are using.
2. You can then login by clicking the red "Start” button
3. You will need to scan the barcode on the back of your UniCard.
4. Once logged in touch the "+" button and you can then start scanning items.
5. Scan the barcode of the item you wish to borrow.
6. If you are borrowing more than one item, toggle the 'scan multiple items' option before you begin.
7. If the item barcode is unable to scan, click “Can’t scan? Type-in the code” to be able to manually type in the barcode.
8. Once you've finished scanning, click 'Finish' to complete the process. You will then receive an email receipt confirming the titles and due dates of the books.
Security Gate Alert: signing out items out through meeScan does not desensitize the item, so items can set off security gates in the library as well as at other places with security gates. You can ask at the first floor TFDL service desk on the first floor to have your books desensitized. You can also use the meeScan station located in the TFDL foyer.
It is not possible to return books on the app so please return them at the book returns on the 1st and 2nd floor, or at the 1st floor service desk.
Along with self checkout app on your own device, TFDL has a MeeScan kiosk located on the 1st floor. This station works like any of the self-checkout machines, and anyone who doesn't have a smart device or has left it at home. The checkout process is the same as the app.